Too sweet?

I have been toying with the idea of making dolls for a while, but when it has come to designing the face I have really struggled.

After sewing for sometime I have realised that I have really neglected my drawing skills. The body of the doll seems simple and exciting to me, but the face...?
I have always struggled with faces even when I used to do life drawing. I am so envious of people (husband!) who can do the most beautiful and life like portraits.

So for the dolls face I had the dilemma of sewing or printing?


After realising that sewing a face would be just as bad as my drawing skills I decided to set myself a challenge.

BROWN EYES

I decided to think back to my university days, how did we go through the idea process.....


BLUE EYES

Each step has been enjoyable and I am quite happy with the result.
I will print them on fabric and then sew them on to the doll. With a bit of tweaking and embellishing hopefully they will be ok.





Comments

They are lovely and I like the way you have tried out different hair. You can print on fabric using an injet printer and then you could add some embroidered detail.
Tina Peacock said…
I think these are the prettiest, sweetest faces I've seen in a long time! x
Louise said…
the world needs sweetening up a little! i think they are adorable. :-)
Bertie Meadows said…
They will be so cute, with just a touch of cheekiness thrown in too.
Bertie x
Beck said…
I agree that faces are tricky! Whenever I make a doll or bunny or bear I find the faces are the biggest challenge. I like your drawings and I'm dying to see the finished doll(s)! x
Fabric Nation said…
These look really lovely and would be much loved! They are sweet, which is a good thing!
Ragged Roses said…
They are scrumptious Emma, looking forward to seeing the results. Hope I'll get a sneak preview on Wednesday. Have a great weekend
Kimx
Beck said…
Hi again, pop by my blog...you have an award waiting for you! x
Ragged Roses said…
HELLO!!!!!! Back in the land of ether (finally got sorted at 11.45pm last night!). just needed to check that doll face - yes, definitely the face of somebody I sat having coffee with and doing a spot of detective work with on Wednesday ...
Kimx
Anonymous said…
These are really super. I just love the styles of the faces. Cant wait to see the finsihed project!
Tinyholder said…
they look great! it's funny isn't it, I can draw female faces and that's about it!

Popular Posts