Monsieur Rat, the art cupboard artist….Latest needle felted commission!




May I introduce you to Monsieur Rat, my latest whimsical needle felted commission that I might have gone a little too far on his accessories!

I was asked to create a rat for the client who wanted a unique gift for her colleague who was leaving as head of the art department at the school she worked. There’s a story behind why this little rat is so special, he would break in to their art cupboard at the school and scurry away, nibble at and make quite a mess with the art materials.


I loved this story, I imagined a whole story of his life becoming a famous artist living in a Parisian underground metropolis…. that then led me to take take it a little further and have some fun with his clothes … I absolutely loved the Disney film Ratatouille and I think you can say it may have been a bit of an influence.



Even before finishing his facial details I couldn't help myself but get started on his artists smock…. I used these images of a french style smock as reference using some old canvas material I had in my stash, I think I got pretty close!



Then of course he had to have a beret and an artists pallet…… with ‘paint’….


…. I decided to send him off with one of my old paintbrush that I owned seeing as he would have probably stolen one from their art cupboard; I wonder what his style of painting was and which great artists he compared himself with!

…I like to imagine Monsieur Rat is heavily influenced by Paul CĂ©zanne and paints large canvases of contemporary life in the underground sewers world of Paris……

…ahhh c’est la vie!



 

Comments

Wow That's is so lovely

Popular Posts